Friday, September 10, 2010

Letters from America 4



Note Peter Pearce and other walk club leaders. You do not know how to organise a Wednesday walk. Here is how you do it.
1.Choose a walk about 11 Km one way
2.Ensure the walk is flat and even. Make it on the rim of a canyon
3.Ensure the canyon is at least 10 miles wide and 277 miles long and a mile deep
4.Place a wide river, say the Colorado, at the bottom
5.Ensure there are canyon views constantly along the way
6.Ensure there are at least 9 superb viewing points on the way
7.Ensure there is free bus shuttle stop - buses every 10 minutes - at each superb viewing point so you can skip walking a leg or two or three
8.Place friendly squirrels and other animals along the way
9.Ensure a coffee shop is at the far end
10.Catch the free shuttle all the way back
It really isn't rocket science, Peter.

I had so much energy at the far end that I decided to continue the Hermit´s Trail a mile deep into the canyon. Unfortunately I completely ran out of energy and water before I reached the bottom. As people have died on the trail I turned back a mere 10 miles from my destination and stolidly staggered the quarter mile back to the coffee shop on the rim where I was met by an annoyed Kitty who was wondering where I was. She did not care that I almost died. I should have stuck to the above formula.


No comments:

Post a Comment